Thursday, October 2, 2008

theology for a four-year-old

We are driving back home from spending the day at my mom's, when J asks from the backseat, "Mom, why God let us scold him?"

Hushed silence.

I ask him a few questions to try to figure out what he means. Eventually, I figure he's talking about seeing people mock Jesus when he was on the cross. He insists he's seen it in a book. I have no idea where.

K and I exchange looks. And K says loudly, "I'm driving, I need to concentrate."

Chicken, I hiss at him.

Which only confuses J more, because now he thinks chickens have somehow entered the picture.

Sigh. I take a breath and plunge in.

Not everyone believed Jesus when he said he was the Son of God. So people made fun of him. And even now, not everyone believes in God and in Jesus. We are blessed to know him.

It seemed enough for J. For now at least!

No comments: