Friday, May 30, 2008

101 things about me

On a more self-centered note...

1. I have always lived in Singapore, except for May 2007 to May 2008, when we moved to Claremont, California for K to do his masters.

2. Moving to Claremont provided me the impetus to start blogging. I am slightly addicted now.

3. I am a stay-at-home who loves staying at home for the most part, except for the times when I feel like I have to shut everyone out so that I can hear myself think.

4. I love listening to contemporary Christian music.

5. I love books. But reading is ploddingly slow these days.

6. I love Jesus. And he loves me.

7. My secret addiction is Grey's Anatomy. Ok, not so secret anymore. I cannot believe that the one year we lived in the US was the year the writers went on strike!

8. I love food: cooking, baking, eating.

9. But I hate washing up. Hate, hate, hate.

10. I make a mean chawanmushi. Of which I am very proud.

11. I studied political science and European studies in university.

12. I learned French in university, something I've wanted to do for a long time. I have since forgotten almost all the French I know.

13. I came dangerously close to eating cow brains once.

14. I fear being stuck in an airplane with my daughter, who bores quickly and easily. (Although she did do great on our flight back to Singapore from L.A.)

15. My favourite foods are sashimi, kway chap, thin crust pizza and clam chowder (that my husband makes for me!). But not all in the same meal.

16. I have delivered two babies naturally, both times without an epidural. This is not, however, an experience I would recommend to anyone.

17. I have an irrational fear of epidurals.

18. I will always pick seafood if it's on the menu.

19. I love exercising faith, even if it's not always easy.

20. I hate doing housework; as a coping mechanism, I have developed a high tolerance for dust.

21. I have imbibed my husband's love for desserts.

22. I love it that both kids now go to school. How to keep them occupied when school's out?

23. I want three kids, maybe four if my husband ever comes round to the idea.

24. Nigella Lawson always makes me hungry.

25. In a couple of months, I'll start working on a Certificate in Christian Studies from Fuller Theological Seminary. I'm still not quite sure how I'll manage.

26. I fantasize about making artfully frosted cupcakes for my kids' birthdays, when the reality is that they'd much rather have a store-bought Thomas the Tank Engine or Strawberry Shortcake cake.

27. The only exercise I do is pilates. Because the studio is air-conditioned.

28. I loved being pregnant.

29. I cannot stand whining.

30. I can finish a whole box of pineapple tarts by myself.

31. My husband and children make me laugh several times a day. Which I love.

32. After almost seven years of marriage, I still want to hold my husband's hand.

33. I am still trying to figure out how to cook with one hand, while carrying a crying toddler in the other.

34. There was a time in my life when I went rollerblading once a week. Hard to believe, but true.

35. I am a toy snob. I think toys that are handmade or made of wood are far superior to those made from plastic. My children do not agree with me.

36. My favourite museum is the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. I spent a lovely day there once, a long time ago.

37. I can't stay angry with my kids, not when my son asks, most plaintively, "Do you still love me, Mommy?"

38. I once had a crush on Aragorn.

39. I watched each of the Lord of the Rings movie twice, all with my husband. (I grabbed his hand each time Aragorn came on screen. He rolled his eyes each time Aragorn came on screen.)

40. I was once freaked out by an elephant walking down a street in Bangkok. It came out of nowhere.

41. My best vacation was my honeymoon to the Whitsunday Islands in Australia.

42. I once sang a nerve-wrecking solo on stage at Changi Village for a Christmas performance.

43. It poured on the day of my wedding. I don't remember much of the rain, but I do recall one of our ushers holding a huge golf umbrella out in the rain, waiting for me to arrive.

44. My least favourite thing about parenting right now is having to play judge and jury when the kids fight or disagree.

45. My least favourite thing about parenting when the kids were newborns was having to give up sleep.

46. I was Company Leader of my Girl Guides troop in secondary school.

47. I had shingles during my second pregnancy.

48. I got my driving license on my second attempt, at the ripe old age of 29. I was visibly pregnant at the time.

49. I quit coffee when I found out I was pregnant. I am now addicted again.

50. I have super-mom aspirations: I make my own bread, yoghurt, ice-cream and bolognese sauce.

51. I have an abject fear of all creepy-crawlies. This is a fear that I seem to have passed on to both my children.

52. I once ran a business creating handmade wedding stationery.

53. I used to play the piano, a long long time ago.

54. I played the violin, badly, an even longer time ago.

55. The first time my husband saw my wedding gown was when I was walking down the aisle. He is eternally grateful to me for not dragging him along on all those visits to the designer's.

56. I love a good bargain. Few things get me excited like a cute top for the kids for under $5.

57. I like singing. And often wish I had a better voice.

58. I spent the first three months of JC at Victoria Junior College, where I was in a class that my husband was in two years earlier.

59. I met my husband at work in 1999, way after the days of junior college.

60. I love pedicures and Thai massage.

61. I am always playing with my hair, a habit I never managed to break.

62. I love going to supermarkets. So much possibility in the air.

63. I am obsessed with making my writing as funny as possible. Unless it's about making it as poignant as possible.

64. I cannot remember why I used to dread long flights.

65. I will never let my husband forget that he got to fly to California alone, while I flew with the kids (even if it was with my parents' help).

66. Sappy movies always do me in.

67. I don't drink alcohol. I once got light-headed after eating my husband's beef bourguignon.

68. We were married exactly two years to the day we started dating.

69. I have not yet found a song by Casting Crowns that I don't like.

70. I usually ask my husband to do the math. Any math.

71. I was a fan of New Kids On The Block. I can't believe I'm admitting this.

72. I swim faster than my husband. But he'll outrun me without any effort at all.

73. I took a five-week-long backpacking trip around western Europe before university. I was so ready to go home at the end of it.

74. I am trying to reduce my carbon footprint. I keep empty bottles, rolls and cartons for the kids to use as toys or for crafts. I use cloth diapers. And I love my Envirosax reusable bags.

75. I used to wear contact lenses, now I just settle for my glasses. I'd like to do Lasik one day, if I ever get up the nerve.

76. I watch way more children's television than I care for.

77. I once won a 14" TV in a lucky draw at work.

78. I love the colour combination of chocolate brown and pink.

79. I only realised how much I like the colour green when I noticed it showing up a lot in my wardrobe.

80. I have watched migrating whales from a helicopter. It was pretty awesome.

81. My favourite city in western Europe is Florence, Italy.

82. To save money, I once climbed up the Eiffel Tower. Obviously I did not make it all the way to the top.

83. I can yo-yo.

84. But I cannot ride a bike.

85. My favourite musicals are Kiss Me, Kate and Rent.

86. I love women's bible study.

87. One of my pilates instructors was one of the winners of the Amazing Race Asia.

88. I once completely ruined a WMF saucepan because I didn't realise that the induction stove was still on and so cooked a sugar syrup until it turned into carbon. There was no way to save the saucepan. Much to my distress.

89. I read too fast to enjoy poetry. And I get too invested in the characters I read about to enjoy short stories.

90. I love making lists.

91. I am a stickler for grammar. It feels like a part of me dies every time I hear the word "irregardless" or the phrase "discuss about".

92. One of my favourite soups is made with spinach, dried shrimp, pumpkin, chilli and un-fried slices of keropok - my grandmother's invention. It sounds completely bizarre and surreal but is so so good.

93. I have had eczema all my life. The only time when it completely cleared up was when we were in the US. It was bliss.

94. In my life now, I regularly carry on three different conversations at the same time. My head spins from the effort.

95. I don't watch horror movies. I tried watching Gothika once - and lasted ten minutes.

96. My nearest death experience was when my husband was overtaking another car and came dangerously close to an oncoming school bus. We were in Australia.

97. The doctor who delivered my children delivered me too.

98. Just before my oldest child was born, I got it into my head that I could make clothes for him. My husband laughed when I told him about my brilliant idea. And the idea quickly left my head when my son was born.

99. I grew up on a steady diet of musicals like The King and I, The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

100. I used to play ultimate frisbee.

Is anyone still reading this? Here's the best one...

101. I am a sinner saved by grace. There is nothing I can do to make God love me more. And there is nothing I can do to make God love me less.

No comments: