Tuesday, May 26, 2009

to be changed

Yes, it's been a while since I've blogged. Even through the silence, things have been moving along though.

It feels like Lucy is growing well - she's got a very good kick. Being able to feel her move is incredibly precious to me. Just as precious - seeing the look of delight on Joshua's face and hearing him giggle, as he held his hand to my belly and felt his second sister move.

We have also been busy gearing up for another move - our fourth move in as many years. This move was as unexpected as Lucy, but we need the space that our new home will provide. Along with that, we've also been trying to get a handle on renovations, get new stuff for the new home, look for a helper (I am finally caving), and look for a new school for the kids. I am eager to have this transition over and done with.

Amidst all this movement are moments when I stand still and wonder. About the paths we had to walk down in the last few months. About the fears we had to face. About the miracle that we received.

I still don't know why God led us down that path. But I do know this.

We are changed.

Oh, it may look like we simply picked up from where we left off. It may feel like we've moved on. But like a broken cup that has been glued back together, I bear the marks of what we have gone through. And I want to remember.

The pain and fear and worry that could only be assuaged by God.

The feeling of being held up with hands other than my own, when all of me was too weak.

The gift of a miracle that I was afraid to ask for.

And the light that shone in my darkness.

1 comment:

Denise Hughes said...

"But like a broken cup that has been glued back together, I bear the marks of what we have gone through. And I want to remember."

Dear Fiona,
I remember a pastor once said that potters in China (perhaps ancient China) would take a perfectly fine vase and deliberately, but delicately, break it into a few pieces. Then, with liquid gold, the potter would glue the vase back together. The golden seams could never be replicated since no two vases could ever break exactly the same way; thus, the new golden vase would become an extremely rare, one-of-a-kind vase of higher value than it ever would have been if not first broken.

Isaiah 64:8 says, "Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."

Around the world, your "broken cup" has become a rare, one-of-a-kind vessel that testifies to God's goodness and glorifies his name.

You and your family are much loved.

Denise Hughes