Wednesday, April 29, 2009

miracle

K and I were talking about miracles a few days ago. At one point he asked me outright if I believed in them, in miracles.

I thought about it a moment, and said, "Not as much as I should".

Now, I have no trouble believing in the miracles in the Bible. I believe Jesus turned water into wine. I believe by just touching Jesus' cloak, a woman could stop bleeding after twelve years. I believe a little girl, thought to be dead, could awaken when Jesus called out to her.

But what is it about miracles to me, for me that I find hard to believe?

Maybe it's because in all my years of school, I've been taught to prize logic and rationality. Maybe it's because in the only job I've had, I had to produce logical, rationally thought out analytical papers as a matter of course.

Is that a poor excuse?

The call finally came from my doctor's clinic yesterday morning.

The baby is normal. No Downs, no Edwards.

I called Keith and our parents straightaway. But then I didn't tell anyone else.

A part of me, the doubting part of me, was unsure. After all, we had been handed an almost certain dire prognosis a little more than a month ago. Could it really be? Could God really have worked a miracle for me, for my child?

I confess I called the clinic up again in the afternoon. Yes, I felt a little silly, but I wanted to hear the words again. The nurse must have thought I was wasting her time. But she told me what I needed to hear again anyway. I hung up the phone, just thankful that she hadn't made a mistake.

I am relieved, grateful, thankful, filled with awe. For the family and friends who have prayed for us and over us. For the people who waited as anxiously as we did for the test results.

Most of all, I am thankful and grateful to our God, who worked a miracle for us.

Ask me again if I believe in miracles.

Oh, and it's a she.

7 comments:

Danice said...

I'm crying right now as I take in the fullness of how good our God is...I couldn't be more alongside you in the awe fulled state you must be in...thank you Jesus...thank you for your hand in my friend's life...you are so good...thankd you for this little girl.

Anonymous said...

Dear K and F

What did I tell you guys in one of my earlier comments? This must be a test ...

This is really good news!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! very happy for you ...

Denise J. Hughes said...

Oh, Fiona, my eyes are filled with tears as my heart is filled with wonder and joy! Praise God!!! I am so moved by how God has worked in you and through you. Your familly is so loved by so many, and to think...another little girl!!! :)

Carissa said...

God is so good! Can't wait to see the plans God has for you and your new little one! Blessings to you and your family as you celebrate this new baby and the wonderful way God is knitting him/her together even now!

selina said...

IM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! COOONNNGRATUALATIONS!!!!! ysy!! :D:D our god is REALLY REALLY good! 2 boys 2 girls. perfecto! :D:D

Peng Wan Joo said...

Miracle Mindedness is important in our world where logic is so much valued.. Like they say, Miracles always happens last min :)

Congrats on the good news! :) Though I am not christian, I have been praying for you too..

Perhaps you went through this whole process just so you would have a chance to believe in miracles again :)

Mavis said...

GREAT NEWS! Praise God! Looking forward to welcoming your new little girl!